iOS 6: Should YOU update to the beta?

To check out more blog posts about iOS 6, including my introductory one, click here.

In my first iOS 6 post, I said that I was using the iOS 6 beta easily on a daily basis. Does that mean that anyone who updates could easily use it? Official answer: only if your device's UDID is registered with the Apple Developer program. Unofficial answer? That's a little bit trickier.
Can anyone simply use the iOS 6 beta normally? Not at all. Before I updated to the beta, I was jailbroken and trying all sorts of new tweaks and mods, which made my iPhone a bit buggier and less stable than usual. I'm used to an app crashing multiple times, and a landscape keyboard popping up while in portrait orientation. For some people, the little problems that come with iOS 6 would be enough to drive them mad. That's fine, just wait until the official release in the fall. However, if you are interested in updating to the beta, and you haven't registered your UDID, there's been a little workaround found for updating. Here's a great post on iFans, my favorite Apple fan forum, explaining in detail the loophole. Basically, instead of normally restoring to the iOS 6 beta IPSW, you first must restore to iOS 5.1.1, then before setting your device back up, Shift + update to the iOS 6 beta IPSW. It should work just fine, and if you didn't understand all of that, chances are you shouldn't be trying to get iOS 6 quite yet. Good luck, you can ask questions in the comments or even better, on iFans.

No comments:

Post a Comment