Interesting readerbase

Blogger has tools that show a ton of information about who views blogs, including location by country, device/operating system used, and browser used. It also shows, if people found a blog via a Google search, what they searched to bring them to that blog. Here's the demographic of my blog for the last month.

I'd say a very interesting and diverse group. I like that, it's really cool to see that people the world over are coming to my little blog. Now, this is a tech blog, so I have to judge based on browser: I was disappointed to see that over half the views came from Safari browsers. But, once you actually look at the operating systems, you see that iPhones made up almost half of the views as well, and iPhones more or less always use Safari. So, it wasn't like a whole bunch of Macs were visiting my blog. In fact, only about 10% of the views were from Macs. Then Chrome was the next largest division, which I was happy about. And all the other browsers got to share the remaining 25%. So, that shows who visited my blog, but why were they? The traffic sources and search terms can show more light on that question.
Google was by far the most popular traffic source. But it wasn't just the US Google. The UK and Japanese Google were pretty high up there as well, and there were quite a few Japanese requests that were to translate my blog posts into Japanese. I think that's really neat. Looking at the search keywords, it looks like there were a couple specific blog posts that caught Google's, and the searchers', attention. Awhile ago, I posted a blog about Total Annihilation, and when people went search for "mods" or "play" on a "netbook," Google found that my blog had those keywords. Then was my tutorial on editing .ARTWORK files on iOS. Any time people would put in just ".ARTWORK," my blog would show up as a match. Then there were a couple queries about iOS 6, which led to some of my more recent blogs about the iOS 6 beta. I found all this information interesting, and I wonder if I can use any of it to improve my blog. I'll sure try, and I'll continue to monitor the information that Blogger collects.

No comments:

Post a Comment